Last minute news from your own unreliable correspondent.

Mind the what on the what year?

Sunday 4 May 2008

For my eyes only?

I just got back from Tsukuba, a lovely university town 45 minutes from Tokyo, and am finding it difficult getting back into capital city mode. In Tsukuba the streets are clean, the trees are green, everything is spacious and people look pleased to see you. In old Tokes, fascinating and wonderful as it is, things are a bit cramped and the multitudes look crowded and under slept.

Maybe it's because of this non stop crowding that the Japanese are very keen on protecting their privacy. I first noticed this in a book shop- I was at the till paying for a Kanji guide, when the shop keeper held up what looked like a pretty floral paper bag and asked me if I'd like one for my book. When I said yes he took the paper and oh-so-neatly folded it around the cover so that noone could see what I was reading. I left the shop blushing and feeling more like I'd bought a copy of 'Tits, Norks and Bouncy Bumps' than 'Kanji Master Volume One'. This practice, however, is not at all unusual. On my way home I looked around the train and almost every book was wrapped in a paper cover. In the same vein, you can also buy stickers to put on the front of your phone which render the display invisible unless you're directly facing it.

I can see why these precautions would be popular but unless someone plans to steal my identity, I have few problems with people seeing what I'm reading or writing. If someone wants to share with me the delights of Kanji Master Volume One, they're quite welcome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Duncan,

Sarah here - from the gallery. Your mum popped in with your blog address so I couldn't help but to take a peek at what you've been up to. We've all been wondering how you're getting on.

Japan sounds absolutely fab and you seem to have found your feet pretty quickly. What are your plans while you are there? Are you planning to spend all your time around Tokyo or are you travelling the whole country? When are you off to Cambodia?

From you blog it seems your Japanese is coming on really well - I imagine few Brits get the same experience from being there not knowing what the signs mean etc. It must be great to be able to actually use the language and be understood after learning it for a year - I didn't really get that far with my Italian when I was away to be honest.

I love the attention to detail in your writing. I am still trying to imagine the taste of that milky lemon drink (calpris??) and those giant apples.

Anyway, just to say Hello really and send you my best wishes.

Sarah x

D said...

Howdy Sarah,

'Topping' (is that a word) to hear from you! How is life at the Leamington M-and-Art G?

Language learning is a frustratingly gradual process and you probably learned more Italian than you noticed. Despite the work I've put into it, my Japanese is still quite dire and I have to rely on guess-work 95% of the time (maybe 25% of the time in classes, when I should understand everything..). Still, slowly but surely...

I'm really glad you're enjoying my blog. I worry that I have a tendency to ramble, but the wonderful thing is that you're at liberty to skip anything that's dull. Fantastic!

I'd bring you back some Calpis, but the stuff is milk based and goes off pretty fast. There's an import shop called 'Globe Foods' at the bottom of town though... it's possible they have it there. Interesting store, worth a look!

Give my regards to everyone at the pump rooms, and tell Mike that Duncan says 'wotcha'! Also, tell Vicky Slade that despite what Geoff said at the Christmas party, I remember her name!

All the best,
Dunc

Anonymous said...

Hey again,

Sorry I've not replied until now - I have been busy with exams :( I've been updating all the gallery assistants at work though and they've been asking after you and say hi. Many people have been reminiscing about how good your Friday Focus coin talk was - especially Tim. I'm off for a few weeks but I'll pass on your rather cryptic messages when I'm back in. The place is pretty much the same as it always has been only the hole in the roof is much bigger (since they fixed it ironically) and so often quite damp :-/

Your blog is definitely rambly but that's certainly a good thing - you're going to love reading it back in years to come. The more detail the better I say.

I'll check out the oriental supermarket next time I'm in Leamington. I used to live near it last year but I've never actually ventured inside.

Enjoy Cambodia

Sarah xx

Yossarian Lives