Last minute news from your own unreliable correspondent.

Mind the what on the what year?

Thursday 3 July 2008

Commencing operations in 'Nam

As you can see I haven't managed to type up the jungle journal yet. Of course I mean too, but whenever I look at the massed pages of scruffy writing I my desire to tell the world deserts me and I put the darned book back in my bag. I'll get round to it eventually. That aside, I'm in Vietnam now and have been for the last couple of days. Our first port of call was Ho Chi Minh City (also know as Saigon). I think Saigon has to qualify as my favorite South East Asian city so far. It had a cheery, bustling *almost* cosmopolitan atmosphere, full of that 'Parisian colonial charm' the Lonely Planet is always harping on about.

What food we tasted was excellent and the prices were about half those in Cambodge ( surprisingly!). They also had milk products, real milk products, which I'd been craving for a while. Cambodian yogurt just didn't cut it.

Regrettably we only got to spend half a day with Ho Chi Minh as our night bus left at eight (Oh how I love night buses..)

I now write to you from the pleasant seaside town of Mui Ne, which has crystal waters, shimmering sands and wavy palms (etc. etc...)- We've already visited the local dunes for a spot of 'Dune Boarding" (four local kids pushed us down steep sand banks on thin pieces of plastic) and got a 'LEONIDAS' haircut for Justin at 'Toni and Tuan' (due to the dangers of copyright infringement, Guy gets the brushoff in 'Nam). I think this picture sums up both activities nicely:

This is not madness- this is VIETNAM!

Next we jouney on to Nha Trang and then Hoi An (both also by nightbus). What excepting happenings and riviting adventures and await us there? As always.. watch THIS space.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your face in that photo is either blushing, painted or devoid of skin.

I'll watch Apocalypse Now tonight and see if I can glean any cultural clues as to which it is.

Kangaroos Loose in Top Paddock said...

Judging by your seaside cavortions I take it that Justin is on the mend and that your infected foot is not in imminent need of amputation. Did you have to resort to antibiotics in the end?

We spent the day at the Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition where we asked BIG questions and, on the whole, received SMART answers. It was wonderful, and there's now not much we don't know about nano technology, blinking, fundamental particles, seaweed metabolism and martian robotics.

We also saw elephants in St James's park and I definitely felt improved by them. Dad will try to upload pictures later.

Have fun amidst the far-flung Parisian charm.

Love Mum xx

Yossarian Lives