Last minute news from your own unreliable correspondent.

Mind the what on the what year?

Friday 18 July 2008

Get the picture

Yesterday, while biking up some mountain or other, I caught a rare and wonderful site. A very small kitten, sitting on the back of a very big labrador on the balcony of a very queint mountain shack. It was a million dollar shot. The scene was so cute it would have sold postcards the world over.

A few meters up from the happy cross species couple sat a middle aged woman doing the washing up. I mimed 'camera' at her, but she shook her head. Thinking she didn't understand, I took out my Camera and pointed to it. She started shaking her head more rapidly and gesticulating wildly. Flummoxed I pointed it at the cat and dog. She let out a loud groan and half dived towards them, ready to take the bullet. Worried I would send the poor dear into cardiac arrest, I put the Camera back in my backpack and cycled despondantly onwards.

I later found out that many of Sapa's mountain tribes beleave that a Camera will steal a peice of your soul. Apparently they take animal souls also. By the time I'd left, pictureless, the mountain woman was in quite a state. A bad day for both of us. I guess ignorance isn't always bliss...

No comments:

Yossarian Lives