Last minute news from your own unreliable correspondent.

Mind the what on the what year?

Friday 2 May 2008

A Thousand Words

I'm suffering from a bit of the old writers block today. Instead of a normal entry I'll let some photos to do the talking for me. In no particular order, here they are:


I found this fellow in a department store. He's an oven glove and not very happy about it.



These chewable lovelies aren't actually Japanese at all. They were in a snack shop at Copenhagen international airport and earned me a miffed look from the shopkeeper when I knelt down and snapped them. I thought about buying them but the airline food had made me queezy enough already....

One of Kenchōji's incredible Zen temples. Inside was an awe inspiring ceiling painting of a dragon but sadly we weren't allowed to take photos. A crying shame.

I met this fellow (that's right, fellow) in Akihabara. His girlfriend took the photo.


A reverent and respectful shot of the great Buddha at Kamakura.



You can't see the price from here but the melon in the center was fifty pounds, a hundred dollars or ten thousand yen. It looked just like any other melon to me, so it must have an amazing taste to merit that tag! Who would pay that?!


The Shibuya clothes shopping district: Where logic goes to die.

In Japan, fuzzy brows are a sign of masculinity. As you can see, this lil' Pikachu is a complete stud.

He was found outside a Sushi shop in Ikebukoro and the text reads "Today also, koikoi, something.. something... something....". Gee, I should probably hit the textbooks again.

Expect no less from Guildford!

...And that's all for today folks. I have a good few more pictures to post but I'm saving them for the next time I get 'blogger's block'.

2 comments:

Foke Satome said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kangaroos Loose in Top Paddock said...

Dunc

These are quirkier than quirk, wilder than weird, surrealer than real - we love them! There must be a word for the pictorial version of Engrish..

I'm anticipating a nightmare in which I'm eaten by a giant pink oven glove, but saved at the final moment by testosterone-maddened Pikachu.

Could lactose intolerance be Japanese undergraduate equivalent of the famed dead grandmother?

Love Mum

Yossarian Lives