Last minute news from your own unreliable correspondent.

Mind the what on the what year?

Tuesday 27 May 2008

Off to Laos (a brief update)

I spent the last few days in Siem Reip looking round the Angkor temples, which were frankly amazing. The magnitude and intricacy of some of those structures defies belief and jumping round the ancient rocks made me feel quite the young Indiana Jones. I did have a few reservations. It was a bit touristified in certain areas (although not nearly as bad as it could have been) and, on top of that, outside every temple we were accosted by hundreds of junk-selling small children. I also wish I knew far more of the history of Angkor than I do. Maybe something to study next year? I'll have to have another read of the Archaeology syllabus.

Today was filled by a rather taxing eight hour bus ride to Kratie- an old, middle-of-nowhere, colonial town close to the Laos boarder. Tomorrow we head of to Laos to read text books on an Island. My 'nerdy' ideal of heaven really.

I'd like to write more but am totally blasted from the bus journey. Also, the price of the internet goes up every 15 minutes and while half an hour is more than enough for a blog entry I hate the 'rushed' feeling.

 My camera is filled with good temple pictures, so hopefully I'll find an easy way to upload those in the near future. I'll try and write again soon but I don't know if I'll have web access on the islands so can make no promises!

4 comments:

Cleo said...

There are places without internet access?

D said...

Aye, so quoth the Lonely Planet.

Though to be fair, our copy is three years out of date.

Joel said...

I know what you mean about the Indiana Jones thing. You don't expect a sense of adventure when you visit a load of old ruins but it's so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Reading all these blogs about people having fun - ba humbug

Tom's Dad in Leam

Yossarian Lives