Last minute news from your own unreliable correspondent.

Mind the what on the what year?

Tuesday 6 May 2008

Climb every mountain

Mount Fuji is Japan's largest mountain. The country's national symbol stands at 12,338 feet and proudly dwarfs its neighbors, the so called 'Japanese Alps'. On a clear day, if there ever is a clear day in the smoggy capital, it can be seen from Tokyo, Yokohama and even, claims Wikipedia, from Chiba. On top of that Fuji is also an active volcano and if it went off would blast the surrounding tourist resorts for massive damage. All things considered, Fuji is one impressive mound of rock. Today I was treated to a bus tour around it.

The day started, horrifically enough, at 5:55 am. I crawled out of bed and sat in a daze for ten minutes before remembering I had to be at the train station by 6:22 and had to meet my Japanese teacher, the fantastic Noriko-san, in Ikebukuro 23 minutes later. The early rising inhabitants of Shakuji Koen were subsequently treated to the spectacle of a wild eyed and tousled gaijin running at full pelt down the high street, a leaking can of coffee in one hand and large quantities of gift wrapped English tea in the other. Next, the inhabitants of Ikebukuro were treated to the spectacle of a coffee covered, wild eyed, tousled and really quite lost gaijin searching frantically for his Japanese teacher among the crowds. Finally, the inhabitants of the Tokyo Maranouchi Line platform (where we'd agreed to meet if we missed each other at Ikebukuro) were treated to the spectacle of a coffee stained wild eyed, tousled gaijin and a wild eyed, far less tousled Noriko-san finally finding each other and, amid cries of 'thank goodness' & 'Yokkatta', shakily heading to the bus depot.

The day was so full it felt like two and as usual there's far too much to fit into a blog entry. Therefore, also as usual, I'm going to split the Fuji tour into headings. This time one heading for each stop the bus made.

Stop One: A Japanese service station

As the bus headed out of Tokyo everything started to get greener and more leafy. Mountains popped up on the horizon and soon enough we could see the white peak of Fuji-san* himself. After a few minutes of gazing in awe I suddenly realized how tired I was and closed my eyes. While I didn't actually manage to sleep the next thing I can remember with any clarity is the bus arriving at a Japanese motorway service station.

Imagine a cross between 'Welcome break' and an oriental farmers market and you're not too far off. A gaggle of store owners stood in a big, well lit hall touting weird and occasionally wonderful foodstuffs. There were, of course, hundreds of vending machines including one which dispensed chart topping J-Pop albums.

As I'd wasted most of the time we'd been alloted waiting for a 'Western Style Toilet' to free up (Duncan doesn't do squatting) I didn't have much time to chose breakfast so grabbed the first packet of rice balls that came to hand. Back on the bus I discovered that these were Ume Boshi rice balls- The sourest Ume Boshi I've yet tasted. I winced all the way to our next stop.

Stop Two: The Fuji Centre

In all honesty I'm not quite sure why we stopped here. The Fuji centre was a very large building containing a couple of cafes, a gift shop, a few peculiar models of mount Fuji and 'bug' all else. The best thing about it was the outside veranda. Fuji towered impressively above us. Fuji is good at towering impressively above things, it's what it does best!

Stop Three: Mt Fuji fifth station

We left the Fuji center and headed towards Fuji himself. The journey was quite long, but much improved by awe inspiring views of the Japanese alps and the gradual appearance of high altitude snow. After a good few ear-pops we jumped out at 'station five' which was as far as road vehicles are allowed to climb.

Station five was a peculiar mix of olde worlde** Japan and mock alps. After a brief snowball fight with Noriko (the snow had basically frozen) a member of the tour bus staff presented each of us with a mystery ticket. In a nearby gift shop the mystery ticket was exchanged for a mystery bell, which will apparently grant me the gift of longevity. Exiting the gift shop, we headed towards an old mountain side temple, taking a shortcut through a new replica Austrian ski lodge. I've babbled about Japan's crazy juxtaposition before and this was another prime example.

At the shrine we each threw in the traditional five yen, clapped and prayed to whatever full-hardy Shinto deity lives on the bleak snowy slopes. Noriko prayed for safety in her new car and I asked the shrine spirit to make my mystery bell work! For ten yen I'll be surprised the god will go too far out of his way to help us but maybe it's the thought that counts?

Stop Four: Hotel Lunch

Fuji-san sadly behind us, the next stop was at a very swanky looking hotel for lunch. Except for some exquisite Sashimi, the taste was pretty standard Japanese fair (i.e. good, but if you got a blog entry every time I had a good Japanese meal I paradoxically wouldn't have time to eat). The presentation, though, was through the roof. Everything came in it's own little tray, each piece delicately arranged and sprinkled with decorative powders. I felt more like i was tucking into a Van Gough than a bento set.

Stuffed to bursting with fine art, we waddled around the hotel for a little while, finding another massive gift shop, a truly ghastly rainbow wedding dress rental place and, surprisingly enough, a giant theme park in the Hotel's back garden.

Stop Five: The Ice Caves

Next we were dropped in Aokigahara Jukai, a giant forest growing on a lava flow. The forest is infamous for being a popular Japanese suicide destination and when the pressures of life get too much for some, they wander deep into the wood and end it all. The forest is so large that if you wander in far enough you'll very probably become lost and starve to death. It saves people the trouble of actually having to actively kill themselves and there's a Russian roulette element in that it is sometimes possible to escape. 'Recently', I was told, there have been over 300 reported disappearances in the forest with perhaps many more unreported or incorrectly filed. Chilling stuff.

Our purpose in the deep dark woods was a less morbid one. We arrived to see the Aokigahara ice caves- large holes under the ice formed by air bubbles in an ancient Lava flow. The caves were deep and filled with stalagmites, tites, icicles, a lichen that glows in the dark and, for reasons unknown, big bottles of silk worms. It was pretty exciting stuff but I emerged a mite disappointed. Having seen signs for the 'Yougan' (Lit: Lava) caves, I was expecting a glimpse into the bowls of the earth with magma, fire and brimstone. When we got to the end of the tunnel without so much as a molten pebble my heart sank.

Our guide, a very passionate [-about-his-job kinda] man with a practiced, interesting and almost completely incomprehensible narration style cheered me up by complimenting my Japanese and explaining that the caves were formed of lava and not full of it. To celebrate this revelation Noriko and I grabbed ourselves a couple of 'corn' ice creams (a local specialty), which really tasted of corn and were even more delicious than they were interesting.

Stop Six: The Shiraito Waterfall

The last real stop was at Shiraito, recently voted as 'One of Japan's top 100 waterfalls'. Somehow, despite the masses of kitch tourist shacks that lined the banks, this waterfall valley still maintained to maintain an air of sacred and tranquil charm. Not just one waterfall but hundreds of tiny jets fell from a 500 meter wide right angled cliff at the base of a deep gully. Lush overhanging trees grew precariously from the rocks, leaning out as far as was possible to slurp up sunlight without falling into the pool below. There wasn't really much need for words and we sat in silence for some time listening to the water... fall.

Stop Seven and Eight: Home again home again

Worn out we headed back to the bus for the return journey to Tokyo. It made a stop at another Japanese service station and finally arrived in central Tokes for the passengers to take the train home. There ended another brilliant day in Japan. Cambodia beckons but I'm truly gutted to be leaving in under two weeks. Say what you like about it, one thing's for certain: Japan is a country without equal.

I'll end this entry by giving a huge thankyou to Noriko-san who's humor, generosity, general tolerance of my antics and frank, well worded, technical explanations of the Japanese language not only meant for a wonderful day out but have made 'Nihongo' a pleasure to learn. You asked me for an honest blog entry and there it is!

I may not dream of eggplants or hawks but tonight I'll dream of Fuji-san






Monster Trivia
: *As well as being an honorific, -san is also the suffix for 'mountain'. The direct English equivalent is 'Mt'. Don't ask me why I always digress into Pokemon trivia but this is the reason that the original Pokemon games had a character called 'Mr Fuji'. The Japanese for 'Mr Fuji' is also 'Fuji-san', the same as 'Mt Fuji'! Geddit? Geddit?!

Olde Trivia: ** Interestingly enough, while it's true that many English words used to be spelled with an extra 'e', in many and most cases the e was silent, hence its eventual emission. Disappointingly enough, Olde Worlde was pronounced old world. Ask a linguist for more.

7 comments:

Maxz said...

Aah, I remember our very long winded and confusing Fuji-San conversation before you left... Keep the Pokemon Trivia coming!

Anyways, I think that was probably your most engrossing (not to mention huge) blog yet. It's nice to hear a little of the ancient Japan that has yet to be touched by modern life (neon signs, fish selling wending machines and such) as I've been fascinated by it ever since studying Japan in Year... 9 I think.

On a final, unrelated note, I'm getting tested for Dislecksiya tomorrow to we may end up having two Dislecks in the family. S'just a pity I haven't developed your wacky sense of creativity.

Keep up the bloggings!

Foke Satome said...

I am very happy that you had such a special day out with Noriko-san. We really appreciate how you find time to keep up the blog.

Yes, Max has a touch of the dys's too, more praxia than lexia. He's is good company and quite chuffed, I think, to be keeping up the tradition you set. He got into the top 4%ile for verbal skills and the top 1%ile for comprehension.

Brian Pleass, the assessor, remembered you well and wanted to know all your news. He was pleased to get an update.

BTW, you mentioned that your Fuji-san outing was on a special public holiday. Did you find out what it was in honour of?

Chris Trevitt said...

Hi Duncan,

good to hear that you made it to Japan! And that you are enjoying yourself so much -- keep it up... Love to catch up once you get back...assuming there is an opportunity - maybe August or September sometime? Chris

D said...

Max: I d'know li'l' dude, Fuji-san was quite modernized. Big tourist destination with all that implies! There ARE lots of traditional areas in Japan though.

Wackiness wise I wouldn't put yourself down. As people go you're pretty creative and sometimes so wacky I scratch my head in puzzlement (and I've noticed from you're comments that you write very well too, good work!).

I was surprised to hear you're dyspraxic as you've never seemed too uncoordinated to me! At least, you don't spend all the time falling over your own feet like your big bro! Are you messed up enough to get a computer for exams?

On another final and also unrelated note, there's a game just out called 'The World Ends with you'. It's completely original, very well made and a lot of fun. If it's hit England yet make sure you and Lox grab a copy!

It's also set in Shibuya and is unnervingly true to the area in all but geograpy.

Mum: Brian was a really nice fellow! If you get to see him again give me him a 'hello' from me.

The National holiday was Kodomo no Hi or 'children's day'. In a twist of irony (?) it was actually on the fifth rather than the sixth!

As for the blog, I update it daily for three reason. Firstly 'cause you actually BOUGHT me a computer so I could write it! Secondly 'cause I reckon I have a touch of the old OCD and for some reason almost *need* to update it. Thirdly out of Obligation to Japan, a place so bizarre that not writing about it would be criminal!

Chris: I'm back on the 20th of June. Do you plan to return to Australia any time soon?

Maxz said...

I've actually had a fair few close shaves with lampposts in my time (including today when I was mere millimeters away from a big white pole that randomly stands in the middle of the Art corridor) so I wouldn't call myself clumsiness free. In fact, my 'Mr. Bump' antics have actually got me a bit of a reputation around school.

As for a computer to help my with exams, I'm not allowed one for my GCSEs (although I'm allowed a bit extra time) but it's going to be recommended for my A levels.

Finally, I read a decent sized chunk about TWEWY (quite a nice acronym, as acronyms go) somewhere or other and it looks really quite interesting what with the crazy top and bottom control scheme. I was shocked when I read that it was set in Shibuya and images of Duncans and Milk Bars flew through my mind. I really should pick it up as I haven't slipped a new cartridge into my DS in months.

Kangaroos Loose in Top Paddock said...

Dunc

You probably know that Foke Satome is Dad. I'm the one with kangaroos loose...

We're really grateful for the OCD - at least in this instance! It's brightening many lives. Cathy told me today that Sophie dips into it dailly to alleviate repetitive brain injury (brought on by excessive exam revision).

Mum x

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

Yossarian Lives