Last minute news from your own unreliable correspondent.

Mind the what on the what year?

Friday 16 May 2008

Fun Thursday

Today I went for an adventure around Tokyo with Arex Brook of 'Learn Japanese with Beb and Alex'- a podcast which holds claim to the title of 'first Japanese language learning podcast ever created'.

Our travels kicked off with a stroll to the h-h-huge Asakusa Temple which, like most famous Japanese temples, was half awe-fillin' olde world Japanese architecture and half tacky tourist naff. Even though it was a Thursday the place was packed with hundreds of tourists from all over Japan, taking in the sites and buying the tack. The numbers were quite mind-bogglesome and Alex & I took the opportunity to do a spot of people watching. It was hard to decide which was the more interesting, the temple or the multitudes. The temple structure itself was impressive but didn't quite capture the charm of some of the more remote Kamakuran 'Zen dens'. On the patented 'Duncan sliding scale of Temple quality' it ranks at a 7.5 with an extra A for effort.

Once we'd finished scaring the people at the central shrine by talking loudly about gas attacks on the underground, we hit a nearby Sushi bar and gulped some raw fish. I tried to grab the more exotic pieces and generally wasn't disappointed. I say generally because for my last dish I unwisely picked up some sea urchin meat. Here's a tip for anyone eating Sushi in Japan- sea urchin is not good. Most Sashimi is sweet and chewy but Urchin is globby and bitter. I've never tasted street Urchin but I doubt it's a lot worse. Luckily there was free ginger on hand for my second slice and I was able to totally drown the flavor.

Having Sushi'd, we took to the high seas in a cruise around Tokyo bay. It's hard to think of Tokyo as a port town but a port town in is. The reflections of Skyscrapers twinkled in the ocean and seagulls cawed and skimmed the waves. Actually, thinking back, there was a worrying absence of seagulls. Had there been seagulls though, rest assured they would have cawed and skimmed the waves.

The last port of call was Tokyo bay's pleasure beach which, for Tokyo, was fantastically scenic. We chilled out in front of a mock Jamaican cafe and chewed the fat with a couple of drinks and a pizza. Despite my protestation Alex bought the first round, so I retaliated by buying the second. While paying for it, almost dropping my wallet and working out how much two drinks cost, through slight of hand Alex managed to pay for the whole pizza without me noticing. I only realized in the train on the way home so, if you're reading this Alex, thanks for that. Expertly done!

And, for that matter, thanks also for a wonderful day! Not often does one get the chance to 'hang' with such a natural conversationalist, nor with the man behind Learn Japanese Pod. I enjoyed every minute (even the Urchin, in it's way) and was gutted to see the day end. All good things must come to an end, I guess, and so must this leg of my journey- tomorrow is woefully my last day in Japan.

No, no, wait. Looking at the clock, it is already my last day in Japan and has been for three hours. I'd probably better hit the hay. Goodnight all!

No comments:

Yossarian Lives