Last minute news from your own unreliable correspondent.

Mind the what on the what year?

Tuesday 15 April 2008

Big City

I've done and seen so much today that going into detail about it all would fill a small novel. Also, it's late, I'm tired and it's past twelve, so I hope you'll forgive me if I cheat and use bullet points.

  • Woke up too late for breakfast (which ends at 8:30.. ugh), so I went to the highly recommended Mos Burger for brunch. Though the comparison is a cruel one, Mos Burger is the quite like a Japanese McDonalds. The big difference is that Mos Burger is good- the burgers drip tasty dressings, are filled to the brim with fresh tomatoes and lettice, and are served in pretty wicker baskets. Not good for you of course, but then what is?
  • Met Tom and Joel in Shibuya and headed over to the imperial palace. Sadly the palace was closed , but we had a nice trot round the edge and met some hungry Koi in the castle moat.
  • Searched for some fruit, so I could pretend to be eating healthily.
  • Found no fruit anywhere, but did stumble upon a ICE CREAM VENDING MACHINE. Of course we had to try it....
  • Ate Onigiri at a "conbini" (convenience) store. Eventually located a very small pot of very expensive melon which I reluctantly bought and less reluctantly ate.
  • Climbed to the 43rd floor of the Tokyo Metropolitan Building to see Tokyo. Tokyo is quite big. Pictures some time in the near future. I promise.
  • Climbed down the Tokyo Met Building and found a lost phone in the entrance to the subway. Being the only one who spoke Japanese (ish), I ran back to the Met receptionists who told me to take it back to the subway. Eventually I found a helpful station assistant who took it to lost property.
  • Met Ami in a record store and went to see her University's art exhibition (it was very good!)
  • Ate Japanese seaweed and egg pasta at an Italian resteraunt near Tokyo tower.
  • Saw a giant-realtime-touchscreen-globe and some very poorly produced television drama posters at a TV station.
  • Visited the incredible Ropongi towers shopping centre. A place for Tokyo's very rich to shop and look smug. We didn't have enough money to shop or look smug, but wandered around looking gobsmacked instead.
  • Browsed a book store where I stopped Joel buying a robot.
  • Played Mario Kart. (I undeservedly won at in the last second of the race.)
  • Left T, J & A at an underground station somewhere and made the long and arduous journey back to the dormetry.
And as I'm quite literally about to drop, I shall leave you all there. My eyes are so tired I can hardly see the text.

If there's anything in particular you'd like me to elaborate on, drop me a comment and watch this space!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Duncan

The I'Ansons are much enjoying your blogs. I am especially impressed you are keeping up the daily posts - really fab.

Tokyo sounds amazing and very weird. I was disappointed that when you went to the TV characters in park event so few people had made the effort!

I'm assuming you haven't started the course yet so good luck with that when it starts.

Well done on being so intrepid and keep the blogs coming.

Love from Cathy

D said...

There's so much to see and do here that if I didn't keep a daily blog I'd end up forgetting a lot of it.

My Langauge course starts today, so I'll try and write an entry about it later.

Unless something more interesting comes up. Which could well happen...

Anonymous said...

There are two things I want to know more about:

1. What is the dormitory food like and is it any good?

2. Have you managed to put the bed together and can you actually sleep on it?

Love Anonymous
(i.e. Mum)

D said...

1. The dormie food is tough stuff, but good enough. Far better than you'd get at a student dorm anywhere in England.

There's lots of rice and I do love rice!

(Though not rice husks)

2. Once I realised that Japanese duvet covers have a giant hole in the middle of them and go over the duvet rather than the matress the whole thing was pretty easy.

If my pillow wasn't made of rice husks the it would be quite comfortable.

My pillow is made of rice husks, so it isn't.

Yossarian Lives