Last minute news from your own unreliable correspondent.

Mind the what on the what year?

Wednesday 16 April 2008

Lost in Transition

I seem to have made a habit of prefacing blog posts by telling you all how tired I am. Well, today's is no different. I am completely smashed- I'm the most mentally drained I've been for about a year! Why I'm actually writing an entry is beyond me. I'm too tired to know.

Slight hyperbole aside, I had my first "real" lesson today. As was predicted, I knew most of the gramar, but my vocabulary was totally lacking. I spent the lesson scribbling at doublespeed, adding new words to my vocab list, checking their meanings on my DS dictionary, practicing Kanji strokes, desperately trying to memorize everything and, at the same time, keeping an ear out for new information from the teacher (who is very good, but speaks almost no English). It was hectic and utterly exhausting, but at least everything is withing my level.

I managed to get lost again on the way home today. My journey has one change at Ikebukuro which is the gateway from Shakuji Koen to central Tokyo and, I think, one of Japan's biggest stations.

Oddly enough I'm absolutely fine on the journey *to* the school, but on the way back I get lost without fail. I've done if four times in a row. My body is now so used to getting lost that I do it automatically. Without thinking, my legs carry me in the direction of lost and I spend half an hour looking for my platform and passing the same damned snackshop time and time again. Today, on my fourth trudge past, the girl behind the counter actually giggled at me. Considering the excessive politeness of the people in the country, that's quite an achievement.

Just I as I started thinking "I may be lost, but at least I'm making a thorough job of it", the sign to my platform popped up on the left and I caught the fast train home. It was actually slightly disappointing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor darling, tired, lost Duncan.

I just tried to ring you. I seemed to reach the dormitory okay but then the phone just rang and rang. I guess that's not so surprising at 10.10 in the evening.

I hope your body finds the right platform faster tomorrow and that you get a good night's sleep tonight.

Are your lessons in the morning or the afternoon (or both)?

Lots of warm love from
Your Anonymous Mother

Anonymous said...

Never mind(ki-ni shinaide!!) Duncan-san!!

All the people in Tokyo have got lost in the hectic terminal labyrinth. We all have done that!! :D The girl in a snackshop wanted your attention, I guess. Poor shy girl only could show it by making a sound of giggle ;D

Let me know if I can help you with Japanese in any way. :D

It all Daijoubu!!

Anonymous said...

"furnish’d and burnish’d by Aldershot sun"

Thought you might be interested to know that Joan Jackson, inspiration for John Betjeman's Miss Joan Hunter Dunn, died last week aged 92.

Fole

D said...

Ah! Was she the one who fell on slough?

Yossarian Lives