Last minute news from your own unreliable correspondent.

Mind the what on the what year?

Saturday 26 April 2008

Clueless

For those of you who haven't heard the news, Humphery Lyttelton, 'humorist' and famous trumpeter, died yesterday at the age of 86. On hearing news of a celebrity death my normal reaction is "ahh... unfortunate" but for Humph I sniffled quietly in a corner for a few minutes. You could say that at 86 he'd had a good inings, but I maintain that it was far too young for one such as the Lyttelton. Why is it that people have to die?

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I haven't a clue.

--------

I trooped out to Tokyo today and had a look at the West Imperial Palace Gardens, a nearby science museum (on the advice of Tom and Joel) and the bottom of the Tokyo Tower.

The gardens were truly very present. The wooden shrines, bushes filled with bright coloured flowers, oriental statues and ancient stone walls seemed oddly juxtaposed against the gleaming skyscrapers on the horizon. I'm fond of juxtaposition between the old and new and nowhere does it quite as well as Japan.

As I was eating a banana on a bench marking the spot where the imperial samurai used to train, two pleasant Japanese buisiness men approaced me and we had a nice conversation about London. The first question anyone will ask you when they find you're from England is "do you live in London" followed by "ahh, so how far away from London do you live?". Two questions that I've become very practiced at answering.

Once I'd had my fill of elegant horticulture I headed off on a mission, first to find somewhere to dispose of my banana skin and then to locate the science museum. Considering how startlingly clean Tokyo is, bins are in very short supply and after a long search I had to enter a big gray building to get rid of my peel. Wondering how far away the science museum was and if I'd get there before it shut, I looked up to at the clock on the wall and saw that it was right next to a large sign saying "Welcome to the Science Museum". Spooked, I payed my 600 yen entry fee and wandered in.

The Museum was a lot of fun, though would have been better if I'd had company. Everywhere things went whoosh and pop, though there were no English captions and while my Japanese is good enough to explain that I live 2 hours away from London by train, it falters somewhat when faced with technical explanations of the science behind the Aurora Borealis.

The exhibit which stuck in my mind the most was a scarily lifelike female robot who you could supposedly talk too. She reacted well to my "Konnichiwa", but to my other questions (Are you well? Who made you? How far away from London do you live) just stared blankly and eventually told me to go away and let someone else have a turn. I was quite hurt!

Tokyo Tower, Japan's answer to le Tour Eiffel looked good from the outside, but a little kitsch within. I didn't have the time to take the expensive elevator to the top viewing deck, but had a snoop around the shops on the bottom floor and met the tower's mascot. The poor guy is the same shape as the Tokyo's famous erection but strangely pink. Goodness knows why he smiled so much, he must have been bullied something dreadful at School.

Tomorrow I rise early as I've been invited to see Kamakura with Koike Kei-san, the man who owns and runs my online Japanese school. I may get back too late to write anything, but if I have time expect tales of temples, shrines and 800 year old giant Buddhas.

The journey takes over an hour and a half, so wish me luck finding a seat on the train!

4 comments:

Foke Satome said...

Mum says she would really like one of those Japanese robots for a daughter-in-law. A pity you blew it.

Kangaroos Loose in Top Paddock said...

Dunc

I see you managed to source a banana. How much did it set you back?

Mum x

Cleo said...

Hello!
Don't worry about the London thing, it is JUST the same in Paris.
"Where are you from? England? Oh, where in England? London?"
I have got so bored of it that now I just say "Not London. Do you know England at all?" However, it sounds like the people asking you are respectable Japanese whereas here it's invariably lecherous Frenchmen. I loved the Buddha, there is a great Kipling poem called 'Buddha at Kamakura' which really shows his best side, not imperialistic at all, but very wise and travelled and open-minded. When are you back? A little month?
Love Bex

D said...

Ms Whewell!

I'd love to hear more about the goings on in old Paris (as Paris is spelt the same in French you can't spell it different and sownd cleva. Doesn't that burn you?). Drop me an e-mail some time if you ever have any [time].

I think Japanese chaps can be just as lecherous as the French. I've a friend who was recently followed around a department store by a guy politely asking for sex and offering her a ride in his car. I think, sadly, men are universally lecherous but having a Y chromosome means I rarely have to put up with it. Though, having said that, at a party I went to on Saturday a Japanese Scientist chap kept trying to caress my arm.

As for the Kipling poem, there's actually a link to it under the photo! I noticed it was strikingly different from his 'there the twain shall never meet' shtick. Having studied him, do you know the reason for that?

I'm only spending a little month in Japan but these shoes will be considerably older by the time I get back to Leamington. I'm trotting off to Cambodia next, then "'Nam", then Laos and who knows where else.

It's all really really exciting! Why didn't you take a gap year mademoiselle?

Yossarian Lives