Last minute news from your own unreliable correspondent.

Mind the what on the what year?

Monday 7 April 2008

Packing for Backpacking

This post is to test if the "update blog by e-mail" option actually works. It's also a last ditch attempt to delay troublesome packing.

I'll explain the problem- My first port of call is Japan. I'm spending a month in a student dorm in Tokyo, heading out every day to study Japanese at the Shibuya ARC Academy. While in Japan, it will be useful to have a selection of nice clothes so the cleanliness conscious Japanese won't view me as a dirty Gaijin hippy.

However, in Cambodia conditions are totally different. Jumping from guesthouse to guesthouse almost daily, I'll need light luggage that can be carried on my back without snapping limbs. This must include such necessities as a mosquito net, insect spray, medical kit, syringes for blood transfusions, a water bottle, sun hat, sixty days of anti-malarials, water purification tablets, elephant gun and the ever-handy-in-hot-climates Johnson's Baby Powder.

How on earth do I pack smart clothes for chilly weather, Japanese dictionaries + guide books and still have room for everything else without creating a load so heavy I need a pack horse?

And while on the subject, how much do pack horses cost these days?

3 comments:

Foke Satome said...

Readers who don't know the London Underground (The Tube) may not recognize the witty allusion in your blog name. They can find the gen here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_the_gap

D said...

I'm quite gratified to find that someone has posted on my blog already. Just out of interest, how did you find it?

Your point is a fair point. I'll see if I can find somewhere to hyperlink the Wikipedia page.

Anonymous said...

Hey Duncan
Just got your blog link from Tom and Joels. It's Tom's Gibbs Mum just to wish you a wonderful yen full time in Japan. Doesn't seem a moment ago since I babysat you in your yellow baby gro! and your Dad and Mum babysat a very reluctant Tom!
Best wishes
Laura Tan
PS please say hi to your family for me

Yossarian Lives