Last minute news from your own unreliable correspondent.

Mind the what on the what year?

Wednesday 23 April 2008

Snack Time

The number of weird and interesting food products sold in Tokyo could fill a book. Probably several. I list but a few:

Jelly in a Can

The plate is history and I've seen the future. In front of me is a very tasty tangerine jelly. In most respects it's a perfectly normal example of it's species, though there's one major difference. It came in a soft drinks can.

I noticed it on the way back from a shower, lurking on the bottom shelf of the dormitory vending machine. In went 60p (almost of it's own free will) and out clunked canned Jelly. Shake it vigorously and the jelly breaks into small bits which are easily slurped from the top of the can. I've just finished the last dollop and am seriously considering buying another.

The Green Tea Kitkat

It's green. It's a Kitkat.

From the taste, my guess is that this Kitkat was accidentally created when someone spilled their green tea into the white chocolate Kitkat mixture. It has a white chocolate flavor with a slightly bitter tea-ish after taste.

The most startling thing about it is the lurid green colour. It looks like the kind of food English shops sell around Halloween to scare the children.

Walky Walky

There are quite a few customs in Japan that if broken will get you the thousand cold stares. One of them is eating on the move. If you don't want to face the silent but overwhelming disapproval of the multitudes you must find somewhere to sit down and eat or you must go hungry.

Oddly enough, drinking on the go is just fine, which is where Walky Walky has its niche. These small bits of chocolate coated biscuit come cleverly packaged in a container that looks like a coffee cup. You can flip open the lid, knock them back and noone will glare at you.

They're pretty tasty too. In flavor very similar to "Pocky", another snack that's massively popular in here.

The "Post-a-Kitkat"

A really really big strawberry flavored Kitkat with space on the back to write a note and a little square box to affix a stamp to. It's a postcard... but it's a Kitkat. Somehow I can't quite get my head round that.

I don't know what the people at the Japanese Kitkat head office have been taking but it would probably get me deported.

Bottled "Afternoon Tea"

With surprising coherence, the text on the bottle reads:

Afternoon tea has been drunk by the English ever since the custom was started by the duchess of Bedford in the mid 19th century.

Well not like this it hasn't! Kirin's sugary milk tea comes chilled in a 750ml plastic bottle and would make the dutches of Bedford turn in her grave. It looks like tea, but tastes like nothing I've ever experienced. There's enough sugar in the stuff to knock out even the most hardened builder. One lump or twenty?

I hope I stop finding new and interesting tasties soon. If the lack of calcium and the salt poisoning doesn't get me, the type two diabetes will!

7 comments:

Web Cam said...

Dear Dunc

Can you please send us a strawberry KitKat postcard? We would love that.

I'm missing you, Funky Sofas!

Can you come home in two minutes, please?

Love from your wee bro
Web Cam

Maxz said...

I think I may have seen Green Tea KitKats when we were last in Cyber Candy. If you ever get a craving when you come back to merry old England (which has just reminded me, it's St. Georges Day) then you'll know where to head.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan

I am really loving reading your blogs every day. So far I have been particularly interested in the dept store of very many storeys, the place selling was it 30 type of milk, your dreadful sounding salt poisoning (and hope that has gone away now), the Japanese apples, but you have surpassed yourself with the tale of getting your new name and the peculiar things you can buy to eat in Tokyo. What an ingenious idea to package the little chocolate biscuits to look like it is a coffee cup. I am from the school of thought that it is not really dignified to eat OR drink as you walk along in a town (OK on a country walk for some reason)so I wonder why the Japanese think OK to drink but not to eat?

Quite funny that you have ended up as Dan as your mother will remember that when you and Sophie were babies nearly all the male babies we knew were called Dan!

I liked your explanation of all the honorifics - I didn't know any of that before.

Love from Cathy-San (is that right?)

D said...

Cam- If I sent a Strawberry kitkat postcard I'd have to put so many stamps on it that I couldn't write anything on the back!

Maxz- Yes I think they were in Cyber Candy. I've always though of St George as one of the weaker saints. So he killed this Dragon... Does Christianity even recognize dragons as existing? If not why is he a saint?

Cathy-san- I'm glad you're enjoying my blog. Cathy-san is right, but it's also super rude to but san on the end of your own name!

Best wishes to you all,
Mr Duncan

tomjgibbs said...

oh my gosh green tea kitkats are the best thing ever. the best kitkats ever anyway. WOW.

also, this morning we woke up under a huge gold shrine in a country house in nara with paper walls and its own zen garden, and then proceded to be fed mister donuts, chocolate covered crisps and home made plum jam and home made bread for breakfast.

WOWzer.

hope you are well and things.

tom

D said...

Tom, where on earth do you find all these nice Japanese families who feed you things? I want someone to feed me donuts and pumpkin pudding!

If there's anyone reading this who wants to feed me donuts, leave a comment. Despite all best advice, I probably would take donuts from strangers.

Anonymous said...

Those things sound quite tasty... why could I never find anything like that while I was there?!

The one thing I really did enjoy were tuna mayo and egg mayo double decker sandwiches. They were awesome. And tampura (sp?). If it's a sandwich or deep fried, I'm happy. :-)

Have you seen cheese in cans yet? I never saw it myself but apparently it exists... I guess because they're not big cheese-eaters. (Unlike me!)

Yossarian Lives