Last minute news from your own unreliable correspondent.

Mind the what on the what year?

Sunday 20 April 2008

Dairy to be Different

Sadly what I mean when I said 'that's all I trust myself to say!' was 'that's all I trust myself to say before I start keyboard slurring'. Noone like to read keyboard slurring!

I had an interesting day yesterday starting with a trip to a station milk bar. That's right, a milk bar! The open fronted store had a fine display of every sort of milk you can imagine on the counter. High calcium milks, low fat milks, little yogurt drinks, milks imported from all the Japanese islands and tasty looking fruit milks jostled each other in a big huddle, ready for you to make your choice.

It was a challenge not to give the poor serving girl a "What's the vintage on this fine semi-skimmed?" or "I'll have the strawberry, shaken not stirred" but I bit my tongue, made my choice and my milk was handed too me in a little glass bottle. The stuff was creamy and probably good milk, but then I don't like milk much.

I wasn't disappointed though, how many people can say they've been to a milk bar?!

(My thoughts on Isakayas, Edo Tokyo and Hoppi when I've had some lunch and done my Japanese homework)

9 comments:

Kangaroos Loose in Top Paddock said...

Well Dunc, I'm afraid that millions of Australians say they've been to a 'milk bar' every day. I spent as much of my childhood as I could in one, buying thick chocolate-malted milkshakes in cold metal containers. To quote the Wikipedia definition:

"Milk bar is a term in some parts of Australia for suburban local shops or general stores. They are known as delicatessens or delis in South Australia and Western Australia, and as corner stores in Queensland. Milk bars are traditionally a place where people pick up milk and newspapers, and where school children purchase milkshakes or lollies".

Readers will be wondering why you spend so much time looking for milk when you don't actually like it. Better tell them you were brain-washed by your dairy-farm-originating mother who thinks everyone's bones will snap like a twig if they don't have their pint a day. Of course, your bones HAVE snapped like a twig a couple to times, so you know she's right.

Perhaps it's time you befriended a Japanese nutritionist who could explain just where calcium lies in the local diet so you can be freed from these lactose chains forever...

M xx

Unknown said...

Milk is best served from the pores of a short-beaked echidna.

You might have to visit the local zoo to find one in Japan.

Kangaroos Loose in Top Paddock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kangaroos Loose in Top Paddock said...

You're right, Owen. And Australian milk bars are full of overheated echidnas sweating out dairy delights. This is, of course, the origin of the phrase 'My drink has been spiked'.

Maxz said...

Words cannot express my jealousy. Every little aspect you've described sounds absolutely perfect.

I originally though Milk Bars were the wacky ideas of some Zelda designer, but to find out such things actually exist, and even better than I'd ever thought possible is simply incredible.

If there is a heaven, it's sure to have a Milk Bar.

Foke Satome said...

We just googled up this great-looking Mayfair Milk Bar. Let's check it out when you get back.

Foke Satome said...

Not much evidence of milk around this Milk Bar in Kichijoji!

Anonymous said...

Hey there!

This is Terri from Akiba/Ueno. Told you I`d drop you a note, so here it is! Cute journal. =) I was glad to hear you got back okay. Hope you didn`t feel too bad in the morning. Wasn`t it fun, though?

They are really crazy about milk here...but it`s expensive, isn`t it?! I`ve never seen a milk bar, but nothing surprises me, now. I`m still waiting for Godzilla to attack. I`m going to be the first one to take a picture.

Let`s all get together before you leave if you want! It`ll be awesome.

See ya!

-Terri

D said...

We should indeed all head out once more before I leave. It was great!

I'm having the one hoppy next time. One is all you need.

As for Godzilla attack, think the last major one was the 90's. There's always the danger..

Yossarian Lives